Monday, October 17, 2011

Going to the Cloud

It's been a while (a long while at that) since my last post. I thought it would be fun to start writing again and so will I with a new series of my experience upgrading one of the dev OEM Grid Control 11g to the new OEM Cloud Control 12c

My first day at this task was spent downloading the media packs (I also read through the upgrade documentation and surfed some interesting news sites, had lunch, surfed 9gag for a little while and finally decided to leave the second media pack downloading overnight as it's almost time to go home and it's still at about 60%) due to my limited internet connection (over a vpn link to HQ).

This is my first OEM GC upgrade so I'm not sure what to expect and certainly can't compare it to previous upgrades (i.e. 10g to 11g). I can, however, compare this upgrade to a database upgrade and perhaps to a EBS upgrade.

At first glance I really liked the two-system approach, it makes the upgrade look easy. However I'm not sure I have two systems to do this upgrade, so I might take the one system approach. On the other hand, the system I'm upgrading is clustered, so in theory I could break the cluster, leave only one OMS up and use the second node as the "second system". I think I need to re-read the two-system approach as I mostly focused on 1-system.

The current set up:

I have two nodes with Linux Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.6 (Tikanga)
The kernel I'm using is:
[oracle@oem1 ~]$ uname -a
Linux oem1 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5 #1 SMP Mon Feb 21 05:52:39 EST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have a 11.2.0.2.0 RAC running with about 7 cluster databases (one of which acts as EM Repository). I also have the entire grid control installed on this cluster. Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g Release 1 Grid Control 11.1.0.1.0 with PSU4 applied

The target is to have the OMS upgraded to 12c Release 1 as the database version requirement is already me. This is a clustered OMS so I will need to upgrade all the OMS according to the documentation. This looks fairly simple. I will try to keep the most accurate record of my upgrade I can.





1 comment:

sap erp financials said...

I really like your posts so its good news that you start writing again. This post is one of your best work thus far. I appreciate your stand as I can see the creativity in your work. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.